Ottomans conquered Cyprus in 1571, the land, today known as
"Islam Graveyard" outside from the castle of Girne, was
reserved as "Cemetery for soldiers" in the first years of
the Ottoman era. It was used for the same purpose until the
end of 17th century. Cistern, water canals and architectural
tombs were built in it. When the cemetery for soldiers began
to accept non-soldiers, the name was changed to Islam
Graveyard. This is known also as "Graveyard of Forlorn". St
Andrew British Church, District Club and Tennis Court were
built beside this graveyard. Until recent years, this
graveyard was known as Baldoken Graveyard. It was restored
by the Foundations Office in 1995.
St. Andrew Church
Church, Kyrenia is a Church of the Anglican Communion, being
part of the diocese of Cyprus and the Gulf, which is in its
turn part of the Episcopal Church in Jerusalem and the
St Andrew's Church was
built in 1913 through the generosity of Mr. & Mrs. Ernest
McDonald on land donated by Mr. George Houston. The
relatively small resident congregation in Northern Cyprus is
regularly joined by some of the many visitors and tourists
to this beautiful island. As fully operating one of two
churches in the Turkish Republic of North Cyprus worshippers
of all denominations find a welcome at our morning services.
The crucifix at the East
end was always a feature of St Andrew's church as the glass
allows the wonderful light of Cyprus to stream through.
After the extensions to the Church it was again situated in
the Eastern Wall.